Thursday, September 22, 2011

Leadership

Leadership.

Now that is a pretty powerful word. It's a word that seems so simple, but the more you think about it, the more exceedingly elaborate and intricate its meaning becomes. And don't even bother checking with Webster on this one, that guy rarely does more than just gloss over the surface.

As a member of an organization called Student Leadership Advocates you would think that I could easily spout off a summary of everything it means to be a leader, everything that exemplifies true leadership. But I am going to be honest here: When I was prompted to explain how I see leadership, I immediately realized how little reflection I have done on being a leader. Just moments before a concept that seemed so concrete gave way to a river of different ideas, experiences, and people that I could swear were somehow connected.

As I pondered the idea of leadership, and how I see leadership, I began thinking in the sense of "who." Who is inspiring? Who is setting an example? Who helps to develop others? Who shows the way?

After a few minutes I started to realized that maybe Leadership isn't just about the "who" question. After all, it isn't just WHO a person is, but HOW a person carries themselves, WHAT they are doing, WHERE they are doing it, WHEN they are doing it, and WHY they doing it.

So, here is the deal, the honest truth. I'm no expert. Sure some may see me as a leader. I try to step up when I can. I try and do for others what I want done for me. I do have a passion for the betterment of the people around me. But I'm not sure that is what makes a person a leader. It seems to me that Leadership is this amorphous concept, unable to be confined by "the who." A concept that manifests itself in different people in different ways, that can be examined by casting different lights upon it.

And so after all of this reflection and examination, I ask myself "Now what?"

This Blog is my "Now What." Through the coming weeks as I examine the world around me with the "lens" of an Ohio State student, of student organization member, as a 20 year old hooligan, as the person that has been shaped by many (or not so many) life experiences. This blog will be my reflection. And hopefully through this "now what" my idea of leadership will become more informed. And with that informed idea I hope I will become a better leader. Because lord knows I am no shining beacon of Leadership perfection.....but hopefully I can get a little closer.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan, when you talk about how a leader isn't just "who," but all of the "W's" if you will, I thought of politicians. A lot of times society generalizes politicians as leaders because of the positions they hold. In my opinion, politicians aren't necessarily leaders at all. If they do not embody the other W's of a leader, how can we define them the same?

    I really enjoyed your post. I myself have always thought of leadership as a who as well, and after reading your thoughts, I can look at leadership in a different way.

    Thanks!
    City

    ReplyDelete