Sunday, September 25, 2011

Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, ...Ryan Lamb?


Thirty minutes ago I thought leadership inventories were stupid.... Okay, maybe that is a little harsh. My problem with these tests are the binary responses. How can a piece of paper or a computer algorithm nail down the dynamic facets of my personality with 70 yes or no questions? It just doesn't seem right. There just is no room for shades of gray when taking a test like the Myers Briggs. What if my answer isn't "yes," but instead "maybe," or "it depends?" 

So back to thirty minutes ago, I sit down to take the Myers Briggs for a business ethics class that I am enrolled in at Fisher and per usual I am unimpressed by the parade of yes or no questions on my computer screen. Then I hit "score it" and guess what!

The first sentence in my description begins "Beneath that quiet exterior..." ERRRRR. Wrong. You are the weakest link, goodbye.


Quiet is about the last word anyone who knows me would throw out as a descriptor. The little people inside the microprocessor of my computer really should consider refusing to process leadership inventories. Honestly, it's a waste of space on the internet. 

But analyzing the results is part of an assignment and so I must continue soldiering on. 

Apparently I am an INFJ. Whatever that means. 

The results tell me that I am similar to Nelson Mandela and Mother Teresa. I guess that is sort of cool.

"Strongly humanitarian in outlook." - Okay that does sound a bit more like me. Helping others is one of the most important pillars of my value system.

"INFJs [take] a disproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes to which so many of them seem to be drawn" - Can I get an Amen?

"They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people." - Okay now this is interesting. Tell me more. 

"On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious 'soul mates.'" - Holy Brutus Buckeye, did I just learn something about myself?

So I stop here to reflect on what is actually a pretty ground shattering revelation. According to the analysis of my Myers Briggs, I'm not actually an extrovert. This is pretty shocking stuff. My entire life I have pretty much always considered myself an extrovert. I am always one of the loudest of my friends. I am a goofball. I love to talk. No seriously, I LOVE TO TALK. I love it so much that I don't even stop talking when I go to bed at night. Ask my brothers, my parents, or my roommates. 

But here is the deal, here is something that I haven't always understood about myself: After the day is through and my work is done, nothing makes me happier than to sit down and read a book or watch the latest episode of Survivor (yes I still watch, and you should be watching too). On the weekends nothing makes me groan more than the mention of going to a house party where I know a grand total of five people. Talk about awkward. That's not exactly extroverted I suppose. 

So what Myers Briggs says on the subject is that I am actually a giver. I want to help people and I am sincerely interested in how others are doing. Relationships are incredibly important to me. This is all a part of the "Feeling" aspect of my personality. However, at the end of the day, or the week, I need a break from people. I need to unwind in my own world. 

I guess after all this what I have to say is that...maybe...leadership inventories don't really suck. Sure they are flawed. But thanks to a series of seventy yes or no questions I just figured out something about myself that I have been trying to understand for years.

That's kind of cool.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 



The same league, eh? You can take the Myers Briggs test here and find out which future saint or anti-apartheid activist you are most like. 



3 comments:

  1. First of all, I am loving these blogs of yours.
    Second off, after getting to know you over the past year, I actually am not surprised at all that you are an I. I am sure that you are a balanced I where you are a few questions from being an E, but ultimately your I shown through with your test.
    That being said, I can definitely relate to your analysis and realization that you are an I. I am an E myself, but I have many 'I' tendencies. I love the fact that I am lving by myself this year. Yes it can possibly get a little lonely, but I am surrounded by people so often that I love the chance to relax and get away from it all. You love to talk, yes trust me, I know better than most. But like me, you have to warm up to crowds. You don't walk into rooms with guns blazing trying to introduce yourself to everyone there. I like to analyze the room, feel it out and then my personality eventually breaks out of its protective shell.
    And to solidify my score from when I took the test in I think 7th or 8th grade? I am still, amazaingly an ENTJ with my T being very very close to F. I feel like with your I and my E we have a good sense of balancing each other out. I also like that you are a J like me :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting that your personality hasn't changed from when you were in 7th grade. I'm not really sure how my personality would have scored at that point but it would have most certainly been different from today. I feel like an incredibly different person than even from a few years ago. I suppose that I kind of have changed over time whereas maybe you possibly have grown more into a personality that was already showing itself early on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, this post is a riot! I love your reflection and honesty. I'm also glad you do see the value in some of this self-exploration, even if it may not be perfect. Every little bit helps, right? And if you do take the time to really think about what these inventories are telling you, then you can come out of it with a new perspective, understanding, or appreciation. So, thanks for playing. :) (Also, love the photo montage at the end.) -ProfRoc

    ReplyDelete